Thursday, October 30, 2008

VERIZON SUCKS


I have been hampered the past several days by the unreliable Verizon DSL internet service at my home. I am writing this post with my laptop using the WiFi at my local library. I forgot what it was like to use the internet without the signal constantly dropping in and out or going out completely.

Last week I had at service tech at my home which fixed the problem temporarily. Today I am waiting for a call back from Verizon to schedule another service call. They told me it could be up to 48 hours before someone calls me. Who knows how long it will take to get someone at my house.

Here's my take on what's happening: Verizon has installed a fiber optic network (FIOS) in my neighborhood. They have been heavily promoting this service which, of course has a higher monthly cost. It has a lot of bells and whistles that I do not need. As a result, they are abandoning their DSL customers and have no interest in maintaining that infrastructure. Their business plan is to provide shitty service and try to get me to upgrade to FIOS.

If you went to a store and they offered crappy service and products, and overall it was a unpleasant experience, you would take your business elsewhere. You would not continue to spend your money at that establishment.

My current alternative to Verizon is to switch to Comcast. I may live in the only house in Washington county that has never been wired for cable. Comcast would have to install underground cable and I don't want to tear up my yard just to use another company with questionable service and customer service.

My best hope is Clearwire which is a low cost high speed wireless service which has promised to up and running in the Portland market by the end of the year. They currently are in Salem and Bend. I plan on being one of the first to sign on when it's available.

In the meantime, I may be spending a lot of time at the library or using the WiFi at Merlo garage.



2 comments:

Customer.Connect.Melissa said...

Hello!

I read your blog. If you do ever decide to make the switch to Comcast, email our team at We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com. We'll assist in making sure the transition is smooth and painless.

Kind Regards,
Melissa Mendoza
Comcast Customer Connect
National Customer Operations

Al M said...

OH CRAP!
So no wonder the Ross Wrede blog is not getting the updates it used to!